Yay! I finally made it. This is my first blog-post. After years of persuasion by a close friend, I have finally begin to write. I must confess - I'm terrible at writing. I have neither the skill nor do I lead an extra-ordinarily interesting life to write about. I'm just a poor grad student who somehow managed to lose motivation in grad-school.
For anyone who's wondering about the title of this blog - ellaru-guggoo-galu, it's Canarese for "Everyone else is a fool". It was this attitude I had during my undergrad in a remote village called Pilani, in Northwestern India. I had taken such a strong liking towards theoretical physics that I performed exceedingly well in class. Physics at that time just felt natural, it was easy - I can't explain it. When some of my friends asked how I managed to do well, I remarked I wasn't clever at all, it's just that everyone around me is a fool. I was really trying to be modest, but that obviously backfired since I'm teased about it to this day when I study in probably the finest university in the world, where everyone around me is freakin' super-smart and is almost a genius when compared to the "gugoos" (fools) I had in my physics class. To be honest, except for a couple of my close friends (who also chose to study physics for some reason), I was indifferent to everyone else in class. Looking back, I regret saying such things. Those people in class were probably lost souls who cared a rat's a** about Maxwell's equations of Electro-Magnetics or Relativistic Quantum Mechanics. I say this because I increasingly find myself in the same situation today. I have absolutely no idea what my life is turning out to be. I'm an electrical engineer with no interest in research. I wanted to get a doctoral degree, but now I realize I wanted it only because of what others thought of me, what they expected me to achieve. On the other hand a "real" job looks terribly boring after having interned in a major corporation in the Silicon Valley.
For the moment, I have fixed my mind on getting a "real" life. Although the corporate-tech world is insanely dull to me, I know that there's "nothing called an interesting job in the world" (thanks Nivi :). As for the PhD, I think I'll pass for the moment.
-blackdog
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
hey guggoo, nice first post. :) do keep posting here. how was the india trip?
How did you even get here? I never thought anyone would get to read this. Anyway, I owe you a phone call.
Hey, good post.. Happy blogging! :)
you left a comment on kamath's blog. :D
Damn good first post :-). I hope you would continue writing. But again going by the subject matter of your first post, i guess you are searching for a "real life" and that can hardly include blogging ;-).
Post a Comment